Friday, February 1, 2013

Love Yourself - Be Healthy....


Since I've been producing these monthly blog entries I've tried to tie-in some kind of significance of the month. One of the most relevant occurrences during the month of February is St. Valentine's Day. February 14th is the one day we set aside to publicly express our love and affection to those we love and adore. Most men 'get it' or understand that if there is not at least some acknowledgement of romance to their 'significant other' they will pay a sometimes hefty price that might ruin their week or at least their day. Much attention might be focused on buying flowers, candy or jewelry for others and while that could be a good thing, the thought of loving ourselves first could be lost. I love my wife, I love my children and grandchildren and I love what I do in life, but I know that the best gift I can give those I love is a healthy me! My early mornings doing cardiovascular exercises instead of getting an extra hour of sleep or having a good salad or a portion of salmon for dinner along with not smoking helps me maintain a pretty good balance health-wise for myself but it allows me to be the best I can be for my loved ones.

This is just my opinion but I honestly feel that many of us fail to love ourselves appropriately. We devote much time to our jobs, to our children, our spouses or even how our favorite sports team is doing that we don’t take time to love ourselves.  As a result, many of us suffer illnesses and ailments like hypertension and diabetes that can avoided. Over the past year I’ve talked or at least tried to talk about living a healthy lifestyle that included exercise and eating healthy. Exercising and eating in moderation could do us all a world of good in losing a few pounds and opening some of those clogged arteries, lowering cholesterol and blood pressure to help us feel better physically.

Climbing the corporate ladder or giving our families the resources to thrive is good but the very best gift we can give to those we love is the gift of good health to ourselves. In doing so we will be able to love and be loved in return longer and stronger than we understand or could appreciate.

No comments:

Post a Comment